CNCs are the Future of prototyping


    Civic term is just about done, during this term I took a course called Rapid Prototyping. The purpose of this course is about learning how to prototype, how to build something to solve problems. I have learned how to use the laser cutter, the Carvey, and the Cameo, I have also learned different math equations and about the 3rd dimension. The FEs that I have attended were Pumping Station One, The Harold Washington Library maker-space, mHUB, and a Metal Workshop. I am very proud of the handmade work that I was able to accomplish. For this action project we had to make a solution to a problem using a CNC (Computer Numerical Control) model and a handmade model, then compare the two. The problem that I am trying to solve is the glass dry erase boards not having a place to put the markers.


Handmade:

The materials that I used are the Dremel and the Foamular. The model took me about a day to complete. I liked that I was able to test out different measurements. I was frustrated with the difficulty of the Dremel tool, it was hard to control. Taking my time really helped me getting the final result and overcome the problem I was having.
                                                
                                                        Handmade, 2022, DB
CNC:

The Materials that I used are the Carvey and the Foamular. It took about an hour for the Carvey to complete the model. I liked that I was able to learn from my mistakes that I made with my hand-made version of the project. A challenge that I faced was measuring the markers, I measured the exact size of the marker, when I was supposed to leave more space for it to fit snug. In order to solve the problem, I had to shove the marker in the hole.

                                                 
                                                            CNC, 2022, DB

MATH:

The volume of the both of the models are the same 
 18.79 cm * 8.89 cm * 2.54 cm = 424.3 cm^3
7.4 in. * 3.5 in. * 1 in. = 25.9 in^3


Venn Diagram, 2022, DB

The FE’s affected my work because I learned from Adrian that before you start a project, you have to plan it out. I preferred to use the Dremel tool mostly because I was able to test the sizing multiple times, before I got the final product, while the Carvey had to be measured accurately. The handmade one took longer mostly because it needed me to be careful and take my time. The Carvey produced a higher quality product because it was made by a machine, which used the inputs that were inserted in it, which made it precise and accurate (to the measurements I put in it). Precision refers to having similar results every time, and Accuracy refers to being close to the target. I would say that I was neither precise nor accurate because the circles were not the same sizes when they were supposed to be the same.




Popular Posts