Water isn't always clear



This is our first action project,  in which I am supposed to teach you what we have learned as a class. In my Water class, we learned how to cross multiply, Ratios, Fractions, Proportions, and conversions. We are learning this so we know how much water we use daily, how we can lower our daily usage. My hope is that this Action Project will teach others about water usage and how we have it easy. In this class, we calculated how much water we use daily. My daily household use is about 550.9 gallons!  In this Action Project, we had to compare our daily water usage to the daily water usage from another country. I chose the African island of Madagascar. 

On our first field experience, we simulated how it would feel like to walk to get water. We went to the REI Kayak Launch which is part of the Chicago River to carry water from there to our school. The distance we carried the water was 0.4 miles. I carried a cooler full of water (10 Gallons) plus a 2 Liter. It took us about 15 minutes to carry the water back to the school. This field experience showed me that I am very fortunate to be able to get up and grab a bottle of water, while other people have to wake up very early in the morning and spend 10 hours walking to get water. I walked 15 minutes with 10 gallons of water, I admit, I struggled and the next day my shoulders were sore and after the FE I could not imagine doing that every day.

 


Everything I have done so far in this unit has changed my perspective on water. I am enlightened by the fact that not everyone has the same privileges that I have, not everyone has the same education, the same quality of water, or even clothes, or shoes. This action project has shown me that I am lucky to have what I have because there are children my age out there that are barely managing to survive, there are kids getting up early in the morning risking their lives just so that they could get something to drink, this water, the water that we could easily get, the liquid that is essential to all life, is meaningless to those who have it, but those who don't have it would do anything in their power just to even drink our tap water. It's unfair. A person wastes usually about 30 gallons a day. 30 gallons per person, that's about 9,885,000,000 gallons of water wasted nationally in the U.S., that's a lot of water, that same water that we waste is the same water that could help hydrate all of the people who need water. 



“For every drop of water you waste, you must know that somewhere on earth someone is desperately looking for a drop of water!”
― Mehmet Murat ildan


https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/water-shortage

https://water.usgs.gov/edu/activity-percapita.html

https://sdg6data.org/country-or-area/Madagascar

https://www.worldometers.info/water/madagascar-water/

https://www.google.com/search?q=madagascar+population&rlz=1CAUSZT_enUS971&oq=madagascar+p&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j46i433i512l2j0i433i512j0i512j69i60l3.9555j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&safe=active&ssui=on


                                                                 DB.          

Popular Posts