What is a Dreamcatcher?



This is the last AP (action project) for my humanities class, Who Am I. Who Am I is a philosophy class in which we question who we are as a conscious person and an unconscious person. The unit we just about finished up is called Doubt & Dreams, in this unit we have focused on Freud's theories along with some other philosophers. We have learned about surrealism. 
We went on quite a few FE's (field experiences) this unit; we met with Jason Bender, a Jiu-Jitsu coach who taught us about self-defense and how it had a deeper meaning, we also met with Andrew Lisi, a financial planner, who taught us more about risk, and how to invest.
For this AP, we truly had to look at ourselves as well as another culture. We were to make a dreamcatcher based on what we want to keep out of our lives and what we want to pass through. We also studied where the dreamcatcher came from.
We started this semester learning about Desecrates and the surrealist movement. During this time, Descartes had the knowledge or perception that as humans, we were born with the ability to have higher consciousness and knowledge ordained by god. 
We also learned about the Ojibwe tradition of putting the feathers on the dream catcher, they are hanging from the lower sides of the circle serves an important purpose. They help the trapped dreams from the web glide gently down to the person sleeping below. 
Materials:
  • Metal ring
  • Suede
  • Waxed String
  • Beads
  • Leather
  • Feathers




The black suede symbolizes mystery, the future, the things that I have no way of knowing what they are, It's like a void or a blankness in my life. This connects to the id because an id is basically like an instinct, you never know when it's going to happen and what is going to happen.  The brown string represents my security and how I always question things; I want to be secure. The purple beads represent wisdom and bravery. Wisdom as I get older, I learn new things - becoming wiser. Bravery because I like to try new things. This connects to my superego, which is the part of me that thinks it is "perfect" the part that wants to try things like ziplining and trying new foods The brownish feathers represent the creator (earth) and the bird that it belongs to, in this case, it belongs to an owl. The feather shows its path and everything that it has been through with these feathers. the complexness and beauty of these feathers also reflect on my life because of how complex it has been so far, everything that I have gone through. The white feathers represent faith. My faith in anything is crucial because, without faith, you can't do things correctly, faith doesn't necessarily have to tie into religion. I for one am an atheist so I don't follow any religions, but I respect them.

Popular Posts