Building a Battery!

 This is the final AP (Action Project) for Fuel, which is a STEM class. We just wrapped up unit 3! in this unit we have learned about batteries. At first, I thought that I knew what batteries were, but I didn't know that DC motors use magnets and coiled copper to spin. although this unit only lasted a week, I learned a lot, such as the parts of batteries, which include Stators (Magnets), Rotor/Armature (coiled metal, usually copper), & Commutator (Switch[turns the battery on and off]) we also learned about Electro-Chemical Batteries which consists of 2 Electrodes (Metals) and 1 Electrolyte (Liquid). We also learned about ions, which is just an atom with an electron added or subtracted.




Question: How can I make an effective battery?

Hypothesis: I think that the lime will work better than the coconut water will because the lime is more acidic

then the coconut water is.

I think that the lime will generate at least one volt. I think that coconut water will generate less than one volt.

Materials: Multimeter, Tupperware, Copper pipe, 2 nails, coconut water, lime

Observations: The lime did not generate as many volts, The coconut water on the other hand almost reached 1 volt.

Results: The Lime Battery generated about 0.068 Volts and the Coconut Water generated 0.856 Volts




                                         

I really liked this AP because I was able to show that I know more about batteries. I also liked this AP because it was very interactive and fun. 

Popular Posts